In this example we will be forwarding the ROOT domain to
www using Google Domains.
There is a little debate about whether using naked/root domains is better or worse than
www, but I think the proof lies in seeing Amazon/Facebook/Google all utilize
I think there are a decent number of reasons why. but this article is specifically about HOW to forward the root/naked domain to www on your domains.google.com account.
1. Visit your Account and click on “DNS Settings”
2. Make sure you have the www.yourwebsite.com settings working correctly with a CNAME.
I mean that you should NOT setup forwarding until your www.website.com is working perfectly. otherwise you will not be able to know if its working properly or not.
3. Add the
Synthetic Records and take note of all form options
It should look like this:
Settings should be configured as such:
- Subdomain should be
- Destination URL should be www.yourwebsite.com
- Activate Permanant Redirect - tells browsers to remember this setting.
- Change selection to Forward Path - this allows google to pass on any extra paths/params that the original user visited with.